Southern Gaels Hurling and Camogie Club


Cumann Lúthchleas Gael

Offical GAA Club Website
Gaeil an Deiscirt
An Iarmhi


Taken from the book:
Southern Gaels Hurling Club 1973-1998
Incorporating A History of South Westmeath Hurling Since 1885

Despite their many previous successful years both Athlone and Walderstown hurling clubs were encountering difficulty in fielding teams in the early 1970’s.
Even playing at Junior level, both found that their pools of players were diminishing and the future for adult, not to mind juvenile levels, was in danger of being consigned to history.
It was Mick Ward of Drumraney in conversation with Frank Young, Chairman of Athlone, who suggested that both clubs amalgamate their resources, and so Southern Gaels was born.

The first meeting was held in February 1973 in Pairc Chiarian and the first club committee was: President: Patsy Norton, Chairman: Frank Young, Vice-Chairman: Mick Ward,
Secretary: Bill Stacey, Assistant Secretary: Brendan McCormack, Treasurer: Joe Ryan,
Assistant Treasurer: Ken O’Neill, P.R.O’s: Bill Stacey and Brendan McCormack.

The first reported training session of the new club was for Sunday, March 4th in Páirc Chiaráin at 2pm. A training match was held on St. Patrick’s Day, with the following teams :
Walderstown/Tubberclair/Caulry -v- Athlone/Moate, at 2pm in Páirc Chiaráin, with Ned O’Brien to referee. The club decided to wear the Drumraney colours of a yellow jersey with a maroon horizontal band, and this has remained the club jersey to this day.

The first match as Southern Gaels was a Junior League fixture on Sunday, March 26th in Páirc Chiaráin against Kilbeggan. Colm Corless was captain for the day and he led his teammates to a notable victory with the score reading: Southern Gaels 4-2 Kilbeggan 0-2.
The lineout for that historic first match was: C. Corless (Capt), B. Gilhooley (goals), B. Daly, M. Rabbitte, K. O’Neill, T. Dolan, V. Reynolds, T. Farrell, P. Buckley, D. Lonican, O. Seery, P. Bannon, J. Irwin, R. Browne, K. Naughton. Subs: J. Guilfoyle, T. Collins, M. Collins.

Other matches played that year include:

1st Round: a bye
2nd Round – Southern Gaels 2-7 Raharney 3-2
Semi Final – Castletown-Geoghegan defeated Southern Gaels


Ringtown 4-10 Southern Gaels 3-4


Southern Gaels 3-4 Lusmagh (Offaly) 2-8
Tremane (Roscommon) 7-7 Southern Gaels 5-7
Four Roads (Roscommon) 4-9 Southern Gaels 4-7
Kinvara (Galway) 5-7 Southern Gaels 2-8

Club Leagues began on a 9-a-side basis with Micky Rabbitte’s 4-1 to Brendan Daly’s 2-3 being the first game played. Mick Ward was referee. There is no record however of this league being finished out.
A Juvenile League was also started with the first game played on Saturday, June 10th, Garrycastle Ramblers defeated Cooson Rovers on a score line 8-4 to 6-1. This Garrycastle team went on to win the League, concluded in 1975, defeating St. Mary’s by 1-2 to 0-1. Dan Hogan was organiser of Garrycastle while Christy Fallon trained St. Mary’s.

Pat Coughlan was elected captain for 1973 but unfortunately suffered a broken leg during the year and Tommy Dolan took over the role of captain. Finally, to cap a very successful first year, a Dinner Dance was held in “The Corrida” in Ballymore in December.

Southern Gaels were on the map.

Should you need to contact the club you can email: OR phone 0872253350